02 May 2007

Places and People Pictures


Picture of the Al Faw Palace compliments of globalsecurity.org
The reason the Al Faw Palace was built on what is now Camp Victory.




The following is a translation of the etching in the wall of what is now the Commanding General's conference room. Saddam didn't really get religious until the late 90's according to reports. Not totally sure of the veracity of the translation. Either way, something new to look at.





Looking up one of the marble-lined pillars to the ceiling of the Palace foyer.



For all you SOUTHPARK fans, I found this fitting patch at one of the vendors on base.




My Swahili instructors and Ugandan friends, Edward and Obidiya (missing are JohnBosco, Festo, and Emmanuel). Each morning after breakfast, Orto and I spend 10-20 minutes visiting with Edward and the gang discussing our countries, language, and customs. As Edward was pointing to my map of Uganda, he showed us the warring North, oil fields in the West, the Industrial East around Lake Victoria, and the area in the South where it costs 20 cows to get married!
Quick Swahili lesson:
Kufa tatukafu wote = if it means death then we die together
Taku wanana badai = we'll see each other again


Iraq is not all death and struggle, in the car port to our building, we have a momma mourning dove sitting on a couple of her baby birds.


enjoy the pictures.
I am getting close to double digits before I can come home. When the countdown time reaches 97 days and 12 hours...I'm half way home!

2 comments:

Suzanne Jane said...

Thanks for posting! Be expecting that bright blue package with bug stickers soon.
I checked your blog early this morning and saw the post from April 30th. You included a shout out to my student Megan. This morning, before the kids came in, I wrote on the board that Megan got a shout out from Iraq. I then told them to check the computer. They were all very excited.
Also, I showed the part about your friends from Uganda to one of my friends, Debbie. She was excited because she will be traveling to Uganda this summer to meet a child she sponsors.
Again, thanks for keeping us updated on what is happening. Stay safe.

Anonymous said...

These pics r tight especially the south park one!