06 June 2007

Grandmas

GRANDMOTHER by Sheria Barnett

Her words were like a golden thread that bound our family, her wisdom like an art she shared so generously, her feelings like a quilt that warmed us like no other, the hands of one so dear- the one we call Grandmother.



Today, my Grandma, Ernestine, would have been 100 years old.


The summer marks a birthday and passing of 3 of my 4 Grandmothers with February closing out the four. Ernestine, Anne Marie, Edna and Ruth all grew up and endured two World Wars and the Great Depression among many World shaping events. Whether it was on a farm, post-war Germany, or post-war America, they raised their children with strict love and sacrificed their own well-being to feed and clothe their family without ever a complaint. They each had a tenacity and inner strength that defined their generation.

One fond memory for each among many pleasant:
Ernestine- your homemade donuts for my visits
Anne Marie- the snowballs you made as large as softballs with bare hands at my bus stop
Edna- your perseverance and your love for the birds & Pelican talks to the school kids
Ruth- your love you poured out to every infant in the family and church nursery

To these fine women, a loving tribute to their incredible strength, enduring love and grace. You are infinitely missed. We are much better people for the gift of You given so lovingly to us.

2 comments:

mom&dadstoller said...

Thank you for this very sweet and eloquent tribute to our dear mothers. You touched us deeply. We love you so very much. M & D

lawgrrl07 said...

Hi, Mark! Cousin Jill checking in on you! I haven't read this in awhile and received a "reminder notice" from Mom that I needed to get some Cousin Mark updates ;-) Anyway, I appreciate your efforts in keeping us all updated on how you are and what is going on from the front lines. I pray for your safety and the safety of all our soldiers every day; may God bring you all home safe and soon.

It was very sweet to read this entry especially...I don't really have many memories of Grandma Stoller before she was living at Fairview Haven and sometimes that really makes me sad. I found what you wrote very touching. Take care of yourself...

With Much Love, Jill

p.s. - I heard through the grapevine (a.k.a. Aunt Karen) that you received cookies and what I affectionately refer to as "Dad-gum"! How cool! Did you share (lol)?