14 June 2007

Explosions and Geese

Yesterday was a bit of a close call with inbound 107mm rockets. We had one drop in 900ft W/NW of our building and another drop in 1/4 mile at the water purification plant! Good stuff.



On the flipside, our boys were returning the favor with large diameter artillary this morning...at 5a.m.!! Talk about a rude awakening. The artillary is just across the way from we live so when they go off, it's as if they are just outside my door. I was in the midst of prairie dogging from behind my concrete barrier when the 3rd round went off. In the still of the morning air, I could hear the round after it exited the tube and arced overhead on its way to make a bad day for Hadji. It was a really neat sound that I am unable to do justice in words. Of course all outbound artillery rounds are awesome, but in the stillness of the moment this one was really cool.



I went out looking for the blast crater of the 107mm rocket that landed near us today before lunch. It's miserably hot outside (110 degrees in the shade) and a strong hot wind like car exhaust blowing in your face. I was sidetracked by the fix-it lot for the Explosive Ordnance Disposal team. The picture below is one of their response vehicles. It was hit by an EFP (copper spear shaped slugs traveling 4,000ft/sec, slices through armor like a hot knife through butter, and igniting the inside of the cabin on fire as it passes through). They have stripped it down for spare parts due its unavailibility for salvage.











Along my travels in search of blast craters, I came across the Camp Victory Geese Family.


Heading into the pond for a little cooling off.


The adult geese provide barrier defense and keep the youth close to the shore.


Sleep is good for growing and weathering the heat. I would like to have nap time again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But some how "Baby Geese!" just doesn't have the same heart wrenchingness as "Baby ducks! Did you hear me, BD? Baby ducks!"

Anyway ; -)

Take care over there & thanks for all you do.