29 June 2007

Blog Interview

It's almost the end of June already...one full month left before the out-processing and travel begins. My replacement is going through his weeks of combat training as I had to do before arriving. My patience is wearing thin as the fatigue grows in the monotonous daily routine of a combat zone. I can't imagine what the Soldiers endure as they spend their 12 turned 15 month tour in this place. I guess it's different when you train your mind and spirit to expect a certain amount of time being deployed.

I received an email from a gentleman who writes a weblog called VAJoe. He cruises through all of the military blogs and highlights the ones that have caught his attention. The address is www.vajoe.com/blog/ if you are interested in checking out blogs authored by military personnel.

Here's the excerpt of my interview found on the 26 Jun entry of VAJoe's blog:
June 26, 2007
Stoli of Mission Iraq - Round 2

Posted in: Military Bloggers, MilBlogger Interviews, Iraq, Air Force — valane @ 11:06 am

Stoli talks about his milblog Mission Iraq - Round 2.

Question: How long have you been blogging and why did you get into blogging?
I have been blogging since January 07 when I started this deployment. This is an easy way for family and friends to stay up with what I am doing in Iraq.

Question: What is your military experience?
I have been in the Air Force for 16 years and have worked many different types of jobs…although lately been doing a lot of staff work. I have been to Korea, Japan, England, Germany, Italy, Bosnia, Turkey, Qatar, Kuwait, and Iraq.

Question: What are some of your other favorite Milblogs?
The One Wire, The Landlocked Sailor, and the AF EWO in Iraq. They are linked on my blog. I should probably expand my blog horizons and check out some others.

Question: What has been the biggest factor in helping you create and publish a successful blog?
My children are growing up without me while I serve over here. Thus, the blog lets them see what I am doing, seeing, and thinking while 8,000 miles away from home. It gives them something tangible to keep for later in life in addition to memories of my phone calls and emails.

Question: Do you have anything else you would like us to mention about you, your blog, or your readers?
I really appreciate the random emails of support and thanks from people back in America. Our presence has become unpopular both in America and in Iraq, yet it’s good to know we have a loyal following of support from home.

My last two answers are important to me on several levels. When I finally return home from this mission, I will have been gone for 207 days from my family. In the last two years, I have been away from my family for a total 330 days. Having this blog, pictures, emails, and daily phone calls has helped me stay in touch and be a part of my wife and children's lives. My legacy will be in the way my children grow into adults and the path they choose for their lives. I can't be a part of their development when I am constantly 8,000 miles away. It's a painful reality.

My folks have been with me the whole way with daily emails and helping to take care of my family in my absence. I owe them a great debt of gratitude. The commitment and bonds of family have escaped my sister though. I called her last night out of concern for the flooding I have been reading about where she lives. She and her family are fine, but she just didn't think I was in harms way here in Iraq. That must be the reason I haven't received even an email of encouragement from her.

For the rest of my extended family, in-laws, friends, and those of you I have never met...a heart felt Thank You for your letters, emails, cards, and care packages that have raised my spirits and let me know we are still supported and prayed for back home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!