12 April 2007

Puddles are great, if...

...you are a duck! It rained and then rained some more. The following pictures will show the extent of the rain we just had dump on us. It started the evening before last, lightening and thundered around 3 am, and then hailed around 7:30am. Ahhh, the sound of hail on a tin roof!

Of course the insurgents have to get in on the act during rain storms and we took mortar fire at the same time. There was a round that hit not too far from us. It gave my trailer a pretty good shake when it hit. They (the insurgents we lovingly refer to as Haji - I know...so politically incorrect and insensitive of me. For those offended - you come out here and get shot at and mortared - see how you feel about it) like launching on us in the bad weather. Unfortunately, bad weather hasn't slowed down Haji's efforts at roadside bombs. Ever since al-Sadr told his Shiite minions to double their efforts at killing American forces ("their archenemy") they have done themselves proud.

Sorry, I digress...we were talking about bad weather.
puddles outside the dining hall

my feet in water up to my ankles last night walking back from the phone center.

Lastly, no rainy day is complete around here without the silt turned into pudding thick mud...

6 comments:

JJ's said...

Mark,
Your weather looks a lot like Florida these days. We are catching upin the aquifer. I guess that means sink hole time. At least you don't have those in Iraq, or maybe if you had some in strategic places it would help ??? Ha. The pictures are great. I have not down loaded my pics of Gramps and Gracie yet but plan on it soon. Okay, Andra and Suz are in the pics too. Ha. It was a great visit. It put a smile on Gramps face. Thanks for the note and enjoy your cookies. Stay safe. We miss you. JJ's

Suzanne Jane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzanne Jane said...

Before you read further, my students logged onto your blog. I think they looked at pictures more than they read, but they enjoyed the pictures. I allowed them to leave a comment, but there were two that I did not proofread for content. They make me sound desperate. Sorry. To save you from checking all the comments, they left comments on the following days: April 8th, 6th, and 5th, March 28th, 18th, and 11. They were offended by the 'slacking off' comment I made one of the days. I did not say they were slacking off, I wanted to prevent that from happening. Either way, they enjoyed class today thanks to you.
Stay safe.
Love, the REAL Suzanne Jane

Suzanne Jane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzanne Jane said...

I think I know how to delete my comments! I'm going to test my theory.

Suzanne Jane said...

I'm right! Just click on the trash can to delete! I'll try to delete some of the comments.