06 March 2007

Moving Forward

I am officially moved into my trailer..unpacked, sorted, and it looks a little like home with a new 2x3 throw rug in front of my bed and the new bed linens I bought back in Janury while at training in MD. Andra sent my GPS to me and I measured the distance between my trailer and my building: 4.1 miles. So far the office has been pretty good about giving Andy and me a vehicle to get back and forth.

Directly across the street from our trailer is a dining facility, AT&T calling center, Morale tent with computers, voice over IP phones, large screen tv's, movies; next to the Morale tent is a brand new gym; and there is a KBR laundry service. Laundry has been tough for my clothing. My previously white underwear is now a tie-die assortment akin to camouflage. The kids tie-died my underwear once before and Ava named them my Earth underwear. Well, now I have about 8 more pair of Earth underwear compliments of KBR laundry services! On the bright side, laundry is only 24 hours instead of 72 hours when I was last at Victory.

Now for work. I am trying to get a hang of the Navy way of doing things. We are a staff, but we really aren't...so chain of command is kind of loose and folks seem to be in your back pocket. I'll chalk it up to them being helpful to the new guy for now. I have a threat assessment to look forward to writing in support of a new concept of operations. There are a lot of data bases and assessments to jump in to in order to be up to speed on what I need to be smart on. I'll also be lining up trips with the route clearing teams and getting together with Explosive ORDNANCE (now spelled correctly thanks my most favorite EOD tech Ms Laura Turnbull-Peters) Disposal teams, and a forensics team.

This will be the first time in about 5 years that I am able to get back to basics and be a real intelligence analyst. Very exciting stuff!

No comments: