11 March 2007

Movie and Pizza Saturday

Just like home, we had the weekly movie and pizza night. We watched the movie The 13th Warrior and enjoyed pizza from the Pizza Hut folks here on Victory. To long to go into here, we found interesting parallels to the plot of the movie and our presence here in Iraq.

Speaking of movies, the Comms folks have installed a streaming video capability and the choice of about 10 different channels for news, sports, and other interests programming. I find I can punctuate my day between meetings and meals by watching a movie. Whatever it takes to make the days go by...I am not ashamed!

I have run across the Commanding General, General Petreaus, twice now. On Wednesdays, he's in the conference room prior to one of my working group meetings. Sometime in the near future, I am going to finesse my way into a picture with him. Give me about 3 weeks to work it out. He's a nice, competent and self-assured fellow.

One of my new hobbies is learning a few phrases of conversational Swahili. There is a new team of guards at the dining facilities and base perimeter. They are most likely from Kenya or Ethiopia. I sheepishly tried out the one greeting phrase I know in Swahili and they perked up, smiled big, and were very happy someone made an effort to speak to them. Now I am brushing up on more conversational phrases. They look for me now and greet me before I can greet them. I am enjoying the exchanges. The funny part is watching the look on every ones face as this very white officer carries on a short conversation in a language many have never even heard before. Ahhhhh, making friends and influencing people the Stoller way. Mom and Dad would be proud. Actually they are very proud of me....they tell me every time I call home. :)

Went to the 6:30 pm Praise Worship at the Victory Chapel tonight. It was very similar to my church back home...the Mountain Home Church of the Nazarene. Good praise band, contemporary Christian music like we sing back home and hear on 89.5 KTSY. Helped me forget I was in Iraq for an hour. Our message was on "The highest Call from God is to Worship - genuinely and whole hearted". Scripture was from John and Romans for the 3 main points: 1) Worship is relational 2) Worship is empowered by the Holy Spirit and 3) Worship is the Truth and Knowledge of Jesus Christ. We'll have a sun rise service on Easter Sunday just outside the Palace along the waters edge. Something to look forward to.

Those who read this blog are in different walks with a power they believe in. I don't mean to get over religious with this blog. I only wish to make a point that it is my relationship and walk that gets me through each day away from my family; in harms way with mortar and rocket attacks; and helps me center myself after reviewing multiple daily intelligence reports (with pictures) on the effects IED's are having on the brave young kids I work and live with who go out everyday to patrol the streets or provide security for convoys.
Moment of serenity...

1 comment:

Suzanne Jane said...

Hey Mark,
This Naja,I like this picture. Its very beautiful. Maybe there are some good parts in Iraq. i thought it was all bad. It looks peaceful, i would like to go down there if the war wasn't going on.